PEP 263 status check

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 18:47:40 EDT 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> I personally believe it is too early yet to make lack of
> encoding declarations a syntax error. I'd like to

+1

Making this an all-out failure is pretty brutal, IMHO.  You could change the
warning message to be more stringent about it becoming soon an error.  But if
someone upgrades to 2.4 because of other benefits, and some large third-party
code they rely on (and which is otherwise perfectly fine with 2.4) fails
catastrophically because of these warnings becoming errors, I suspect they
will be very unhappy.

I see the need to nudge people in the right direction, but there's no need to
do it with a 10.000 Volt stick :)

Best,