C# / .NET books recommendations? (was: Re: Importance of C#)

Ely Stob ely.stob at elvis.com
Mon Aug 2 18:24:58 EDT 2004

Ivan Voras <ivoras at __geri.cc.fer.hr> writes:
> Elbert Lev wrote:
>
> > C# IS a good language and .NET is a very good environment. Recently I
> > Important - Python realities (not exotic) map on C# perfectly.
>
> My experience exactly - this is what I was fishing for. While I
> wouldn't say 'perfectly', it is good, and certainly 'good enough'.

Interesting comment.

Anybody have recommendations (and warnings-off...) for books on C#, .NET,
and associated gubbins? (ASP.NET, ADO.NET, Windows Forms, ...)

I'm guessing that I'll need a good half-tonne of dead tree if I'm to get a
grasp of it <0.5 wink>.  Figuring out *which* half-tonne might be even
more time-consuming than reading that dry mass, though...

Some books that caught my own eye - all comments much appreciated:

C# and .NET
===========

Jesse Liberty; Programming C#

Andrew Troelsen; C# and the .Net Platform

Anders Hejlsberg, Scott Wiltamuth, Peter Golde; The C# Programming Language

Box, Sells; Essential .NET

Stephen Teilhet, Jay Hilyar; C# Cookbook; (O'Reilly)

Peter Drayton, et al; C# in a Nutshell; (O'Reilly)

J Richter; Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming

Windows Forms
=============

Chris Sells; Windows Forms Programming in C#

Matthew MacDonald; User Interfaces with C SHARP: Windows Forms and Custom Controls

ASP.NET
=======

Jesse Liberty, Dan Hurwitz; Programming ASP.NET

Fritz Onion; Essential ASP.NET with Examples in C#

N. Kothari; Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components

ADO.NET
=======

D. Sceppa; Microsoft ADO .NET (Core Reference)

Misc
====

R. Jeffries; Extreme Programming Adventures in C#

I see Petzold is soldiering on, too :-/

ely