Help with Calculater (first program)

aToaster dave at inthegarage.net
Sat Aug 21 22:39:51 EDT 2004

Hey guys, I'm just getting the hang of Python and Tkinter and I could
use some help.  I wrote most of the gui for my calculator program,
well I haven't gotten around to putting in the
plus/minus/divide/mulitply yet but I'll save that for later.  Right
now I want the buttons to display the number in the entry field.  How
can I pass the values into the entry field as they are being clicked?
Oh and here's my biggest question.  Right now I have it set so that if
you press 3 and 4 it gives you 7, but what I want it to do is if you
press 3 and then 4 it gives you 34.  How would I be able to do that?
I appreciate the help! Thanks.

,David Peredo

#------------------ CalcApp.py ---------------------------
from Tkinter import *

class CalcApp:
    def __init__(self, parent):
            self.myParent = parent
            self.myContainer1 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer1.pack(side=TOP)

            self.myContainer2 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer2.pack()

            self.myContainer3 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer3.pack()

            self.myContainer4 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer4.pack()

            self.myContainer5 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer5.pack()

            self.myContainer6 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer6.pack(side=BOTTOM)

            #calcTotal
            self.calcTotal = 0

            # Button 7
            button_name = "7"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer1,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=7, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 8
            button_name = "8"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer1,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=8, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 9
            button_name = "9"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer1,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=9, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 4
            button_name = "4"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer2,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=4, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 5
            button_name = "5"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer2,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=5, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 6
            button_name = "6"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer2,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=6, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 1
            button_name = "1"
            self.button1 = Button(self.myContainer3,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=1, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )

            self.button1.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button1.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 2
            button_name = "2"
            self.button2 = Button(self.myContainer3,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=2, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button2.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button2.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 3
            button_name = "3"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer3,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=3, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 0
            button_name = "0"
            self.button3 = Button(self.myContainer4,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=0, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button3.configure(text=button_name, width=3)
            self.button3.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button .
            button_name = "."
            self.buttondot = Button(self.myContainer4)
            self.buttondot.configure(text=button_name, width=1)
            self.buttondot.pack(side=RIGHT)

            # Button Clear
            button_name = "Clear"
            self.buttonClear = Button(self.myContainer6,
                    command = self.buttonClearClick)
            self.buttonClear.configure(text=button_name)
            self.buttonClear.pack(side=BOTTOM)

            # Entry
            self.entryBox = Entry(self.myContainer5)
            self.entryBox.pack()

    def buttonHandler(self, argument1, argument2):
            print "You have clicked :", argument2
            self.calcTotal = self.calcTotal + argument1
            print self.calcTotal
            self.entryBox.configure(text=self.calcTotal)

    def buttonHandler_a(self, argument1, argument2):
            print "You have clicked :", argument2
            self.calcTotal = self.calcTotal +argument1
            print self.calcTotal

    def buttonClearClick(self):
            print "You have cleared the total."
            self.calcTotal = 0