"Socket" files?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Aug 25 23:28:44 EDT 2004

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Uhm, are you sure you know what you're doing?  UNIX domain
> sockets work very similar to Internet domain sockets, i.e.
> they disappear when they're closed (or when your program
> exits, in which case everything is closed implicitly).

Indeed. Last time I played with Unix-domain sockets (which
was quite some time ago, things may have changed since)
the entry in the file system seemed to be completely
useless -- you couldn't do anything with it that you
might expect, e.g. open() it. The docs described the fact
that a file system entry existed as a "side effect" that
might go away in future versions.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,