decorators vs GIL

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Sat Aug 7 22:15:50 EDT 2004

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:18:00 -0400 (EDT),
	mudd at vex.net <mudd at vex.net> wrote:
> But isn't the GIL on the way out already?  Jython offers access to the
> non-GIL threads of the JVM.  I always use Java threads when working with
> Jython.

Perhaps.  That depends on Jython continuing to be developed; if that's of
importance to you, you can help with Jython development or send money to
Samuele Pedroni or assist in other ways.

My basic point is that the features added to projects are those that people
are willing to actually work on.  In the case of decorators, some people
wanted decorators, for the sake of PyObjC or ctypes or whatever, and Mark
Russell actually sat down and implemented it.  (Because he uses PyObjC?
Because he thought it would be an entertaining task?  Whatever the reason,
it did get done.) Decorators weren't added because of some theoretical goal;
they were added because some people wanted them, and because some people
cared enough to implement them.

The only way the GIL or performance will be changed is if someone cares
enough to work on them; so far, apparently no one does.

--amk