[Python-Dev] RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 2

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 6 08:28:16 EDT 2004

vincent wehren wrote:
> Well, writing a bunch of the registry keys fails. This user has no rights to
> write them and is greated with several error messages as in:
>
> "Could not write value to key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.py Verify that you have
> sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel."
>
> .. Same for .pyw, .pyc, *.pyo etc.
> .. Python.File\shell\open\command
> .. Python.NoConFile\shell\open\command
> .. Python.CompiledFile\shell
> .. Edit with Idle
>
> and so on. I was just wondering if the installer should be aware of the
> rights situation and not try to write those keys in the first place.

This is very surprising. How unprivileged must a user be so he can't
write to HKEY_CURRENT_USER? What operating system is this, and how
was the user created?

MSI does have the notion of unprivileged users, but those are the
ones that can't write to System32, the All Users profile, and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE (i.e. non-Administrator, non-Power User users).
There is no provision (AFAICT) for user that can't write to their
own registry.

Regards,
Martin