Help passing variables.

aToaster dave at inthegarage.net
Wed Aug 18 07:21:36 EDT 2004

Hi guys, new to the forums.  I'm starting to learn python and tkinter.
 I started off by trying to make a simple calculator program and I
need to pass the calcTotal variable in and out of the ButtonHandler
function, how do I do this?

This is my program
# -----------------------------------------
from Tkinter import *

class CalcApp:
    def __init__(self, parent):
            self.myParent = parent
            self.myContainer1 = Frame(parent)
            self.myContainer1.pack()

            # Button 1
            button_name = "1"
            self.button1 = Button(self.myContainer1,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=1, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )

            self.button1.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button1.pack(side=LEFT)

            # Button 2
            button_name = "2"
            self.button2 = Button(self.myContainer1,
                    command = lambda
                    arg1=2, arg2=button_name :
                    self.buttonHandler(arg1, arg2)
                    )
            self.button2.configure(text=button_name)
            self.button2.pack()

    def buttonHandler(self, argument1, argument2):
            print "You have clicked :", argument2
            calcTotal = calcTotal + argument1
            print calcTotal

    def buttonHandler_a(self, argument1, argument2):
            print "You have clicked :", argument2
            calcTotal = calcTotal +argument1
            print calcTotal

var calcTotal = 0
print "\n"*100
print "Starting program Calc."
root = Tk()
myapp = CalcApp(root)
print "Starting even loop."
root.mainloop()
print "Finished executing event loop."

#End of Program

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks

,aToaster

PS. I love Python!