Announcing PyCs, a new Python-like language on .Net

Doug Holton insert at spam.here
Sun Aug 29 12:18:14 EDT 2004

>>Is there a real danger that MS will make its own version of
>>Python, pushing it into the market, and we end up with a
>>dominant version that only works with MS software?

No, I don't think so.  They already have Visual Basic for that.  They
are making their own version of Python (IronPython), but it will work
with .NET or Mono (an open source clone of Microsoft's .NET framework).

And there are two other python-like languages now under development that
will also target Mono as well as .NET: PyCs and boo.

> What M*soft should do is build libraries like the Speech Development Kit and
> Direct X into open source modules for Python. This way they are not trying
> to destroy open source but to join with it.

Yeah, that's the area I see Microsoft stuff still having an advantage,
with libraries like DirectX, text to speech, force feedback, etc.  But
you can access Microsoft's libraries from Python, see:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/uncassist
The problem is that then your application will only run on Windows
unless you can get it to work with Wine: http://www.winehq.org/

An advantage of IronPython/PyCs/boo is that they would make accessing
libraries like DirectX much much easier.  You'll be able to access them
the same way you would from Visual Basic or C#.  But a more
cross-platform compatible way would be to use OpenGL (pyopengl or csgl
if you are using .net) or SDL (pygame or sdl.net) instead of DirectX.