Has anyone implemented BASIC in Python?

John Tobler grepninja at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 16:07:01 EDT 2004

Leif K-Brooks <eurleif at ecritters.biz> wrote in message news:<2otkvkFe7p8oU1 at uni-berlin.de>...
> Is there a (virtual) book you would recommend reading to learn about
> writing them? A course isn't really possibly for me, so I'm hoping that
> isn't the only option.

You do not need to spend a penny for books or information about
compiler writing.  Let's go fishing!

Start with the Open Directory Project:

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Compilers/

... and Google's equivalent of it (which incorporates the ODP but may
modify or supplement its results):

http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Programming/Compilers/

>From those two links, alone, you should be able to find everything
from excellent beginner tutorials to advanced theoretical references.

Now, let's try a simple Google search for "compiler writing":

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=compiler+writing

... and "compiler theory"

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=compiler+theory

... and "tutorial+compiler"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=tutorial+compiler&btnG=Search

Then, let's narrow our scope to tiny things:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=mozclient&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=tiny+compiler

That should give you some reasonably-sized learning projects to
emulate.

Have fun!

John Tobler
CSharpener's Weblog: