allowing braces around suites

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at yksi.ifi.uio.no
Sat Aug 28 05:13:17 EDT 2004

[Roel Schroeven]:

>   Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
>   > how long do you have to stare before spotting the bug?
>
>   Just the time needed to read the code.
>
>   >     db.update_name(person)
>   >     if is_student(person):
>   >         db.update_courses(person)
>   >         db.commit()
>   > only students have their names updated.  I wonder why.
>
>   No offense, but I wonder why you have a problem with this
>   code. IMO the indentation makes perfectly clear what's happening.

I don't think it is appropriate that I dump thousands of lines of code
here to illustrate the problem :-)

when I provide four lines of code and tell you there's a bug, of
course you can spot it immediately.  when it's part of a large system,
it's a bit harder.  also consider that the db.commit() originally was
correctly placed by the programmer, and the wrong indentation was
introduced later by an editing glitch.
--
Kjetil T.