Plotting histograms, scatter plots in Python

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 7 21:46:25 EDT 2004

Colin J. Williams wrote:

> Paramjit Oberoi wrote:
>>>What is the easiest way to generate some plots and graphs in Python ?
>>

>> Pychart:
>> http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Yasushi_Saito/pychart/
>
> The charts look good, but the source code links fail.

I found it funny that the author makes a comment about poor PostScript quality
in Gnuplot, touting his as an alternative.  If the examples on that page are to
be believed, that stuff looks like low-quality Excel-type business charts,
while Gnuplot has been producing publication quality EPS for a loooong time
(ask the many thousands of scientists using it since the early 90's).

I'd say that matplotlib is the _real_ contender to gnuplot today, not that toy
with horrible font scaling, no apparent real symbol/math support, ugly legend
boxes...

Best,