age of Python programmers

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Fri Aug 20 19:11:04 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:
> brianc at temple.edu wrote:
>
>> -Started doing HTML for school projects in 9th grade. -Program my
>> TI-82 (basic?) to help me cheat in classes. --Failed 10th grade and
>> dropped out of high school.
>

> So... you didn't program it correctly?  <wink>
>
>> -That didn't scale well enough for the large datasets I was
>> using, started using ZOPE. (If you live in MD, check this out,
>>   I designed/wrote the entire thing: www.marylandlantax.org)
>

> Apparently should be http://www.marylandlandtax.org/ (note extra "d").
>
> Cheers, :-)
> -Peter
Thanks - now completely off topic:

The site points to a weakness of the scheme.  It says "A new public
works project may make adjacent land go up considerably in value. With a
tax on land values, the tax on adjacent land goes up. The new public
improvements are paid for by those most benefited by the new public
improvements.".  Certainly the neighbouring properties go up in value,
but that value is only realized when the property is sold.  Do the
higher taxes get deferred until sale time?

Colin W.