Alternative decorator syntax decision

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Sat Aug 21 12:44:02 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:

> There is a subset of the community which disfavours @pie
> (many intensely).

That was hard not to notice :)

> Let them hold their vote to figure out
> which, if any, alternative they can widely support.  If
> there is wide support for an alternative, it will be a
> very simple matter at that point, *if* a vote is required,
> to decide which of the two (@pie or the dark horse candidate)
> is preferred.

That's basically what I was trying to say.  Although I think that we
should have that vote.  As I said, my impression is not that Guido wants
the part of the community that dislikes the pie-syntax to propose a
single other syntax.  He wants the community to come up with a syntax
that the community *as a whole* favors over the the pie syntax.  It may
well be the case there is none.  We won't know that after the current
vote, though, because it said to be only about an alternative.

Anyway, in case it matters my vote is

A1 A1 A1

Actually, what I really would like to vote for is the syntax of 2.4a2 in
which there's optional whitespace after the @.

  Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/