Poll - Vote here for "list-after-def" (was Decorator syntax)

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 12:00:11 EDT 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 08:24:47 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> It *is*, however, fairly clear that the list of decorators becomes
> harder to see.  Without checking, it's definitely possible that the
> decorator list in the first case is actually part of the argument list.

This is one of the reasons Guido rejected it, see
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/047112.html

> Apparently the term "voting" is deprecated when related to PEPs
> and language design.  ;-)  Instead, we should now be using the term
> "expressing their opinion in favour of"...

Well, it's not so much deprecated as pointless <wink>

> At least, I hope we are still allowed to express opinions in favour
> of things...

In case it wasn't clear from my earlier posts - my comments about "voting"
being a waste of time were meant in the sense of "collecting a bunch of
votes won't achieve anything". Collecting a rationale that is sufficient to
change Guido's mind, however, is encouraged! But simply saying "here's
a list of people who prefer this syntax" won't achieve much at all. Far
better use of time is to work out a way to convince Guido to change his
mind (which, it should be clear from the post above, will require a strong
argument, with good reasons for it).