PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Colin J. Williams cjw at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 19 13:58:35 EDT 2004

Roy Smith wrote:
> Anthony Baxter wrote:
>
>>>Look, name-mangling is horrid, and I don't think anyone's defending it. But
>>>at the same time, "name mangling is there" is not an argument for extending
>>>the horror to a whole new level.
>

> Paul Morrow <pm_mon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I disagree.  It's an effective name-hiding technique.  Simple +
>>Effective = Good.
>

> I disagree with your disagreement :-)
>
> I find a mix of text and puctuation difficult to read.  Human brains
> don't read letters, they read whole words.  That's why, for example,
> it's so easy to make a typo and not notice it.  I find "word.word" easy
> to parse, but "word.__word" much more difficult.

I agree, but see this as similar to the naming convention:
            long_symbolic_representation     at first glance,
                                             this looks like
                                             three names
why not:
            longSymbolicRepresentation?      this makes the oneness
                                             clearer

Returning to the subject line - When will the final decision be handed
down?

My own preferences are: (1) transform or transformer not decorator
                         (2) the transforms should follow the thing
being
                             transformed. i.e. after the script has
                             declared the name.
                         (3) a list of transforms.
                         (4) the list should have one entry per line,
                             to make reading easier.

Colin W.
I don't know if it's