RELEASED Python 2.4, alpha 2

Alan Anderson aranders at insightbb.com
Sat Aug 7 01:41:04 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Yes, of course after using them for a while they will become more
> readable, but there are people who have learned to speak Klingon as
> well -- and that doesn't change the fact that Klingon is deliberately
> very difficult to learn and awkward.

Pardon me for jumping in, but I happen to be attending a conference on
the Klingon language at the moment and I wanted to correct a
misunderstanding.  Yes, Klingon is deliberately "alien", being
intentionally created to be unlike many natural languages in many
ways. But it's actually rather easy to learn, and it's only "awkward"
in a couple of minor ways (embedding comparatives in larger sentences,
for example) -- *every* language has its awkward spots.

Were Klingon a natural language, its regularity would be exceptional.

This is just an anectodal data point that might let you know that what
is difficult and awkward from your point of view could very well be
simple and straightforward for others who don't share your
preconceptions.

--
  Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist
    proud member of the Klingon Language Institute since 1995