News server(NNTP library) and Python

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Aug 17 05:27:44 EDT 2004

export at hope.cz (Lad) wrote in
news:81a41dd.0408162307.3eb1ea36 at posting.google.com:

> I have a program that can send posts to a news server.The problem is
> that I must find a free usenet(news) server that allows posting, which
> is not easy. For this reason I would like to make a modification in my
> program so that the program can act in a similar way how real news
> server, that is to spread the new posts to another news server. But I
> do not have much knowledge about the way how news server chooses
> another news server to send it's new posting.
> Can anybody give me a hint( idea)?

If you are running on Windows and just want a news server for testing, get
hold of a copy of Hamster (http://tglsoft.de/), this will act as both news
server and news client and lets you set up your own local newsgroups.

If you meant that you actually want a free news server to post to real
newsgroups, then sign up with news.individual.net. You have to agree to
some reasonable terms and conditions, but it is free.

Real news-servers transfer news between each other by having a list of
servers to which they will forward news they have received, so to run a
real news server you need a peering agreement with an existing server, and
you aren't going to get that. What you can do though is to write a program
which works in the same sort of way as Hamster: i.e. it acts as a client to
one or more upstream news-servers while also acting as a server. This isn't
suitable for running a full news feed but works well when you have
comparatively few newsgroups.