Python CGI question/issue

Carlos Andrade candrade at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 12:23:16 EDT 2004

I have a working python script that takes in content from a form,
cleans it up, adds html formatting and then places it into my
index.html page on my server.  When I had index.html set up as :
-rw-rw-r--  1 carlos  wheel   3517 Aug  4 09:51 index.html
I could not write back to the file,
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/www/cgi-bin/bob.py", line 24, in ?
    file=open("../data/index.html","w")
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '../data/index.html'
[Wed Aug  4 09:50:47 2004] [error] [client X.X.X.X] Premature end of
script headers: /usr/local/www/cgi-bin/bob.py

and I though well shoot okay I need to make index.html -rw-rw-rw-,
when then made me a little paranoid.  Is there a more simpler way to
make it possible for me to write back to index.html?