Best processor (i386) for Python performance?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Aug 27 07:09:45 EDT 2004

tom at livelogix.com (Tom Locke) writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd be grateful if anyone could provide insight into choosing a good
> i386 processor for Python performance.
>
> Are any of the following of particular importance, or less relevant,
> with respect to Python?
>
> Raw clock speed?
> Cache size?
> Bus speed?
> Intel's Hyperthreading?
> AMD's 64 bits?

Lots of cache is likely to help.  There were some posts -- somewhere,
python-dev maybe -- which showed terrible parrotbench times on some
Pentium variant with almost no cache.

More of everything else is also good, but you knew that, right?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  > What are mathematicians' critical job skills? [...]
  The ability to work long and hard on entirely meaningless problems.
                           -- Michael Hudson & Gordon McMillan, c.l.py