Rather than decorators, how about sections?

Mark Bottjer mark_bottjer at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 11 22:01:05 EDT 2004

Stefan Eischet wrote:
> On 11.08.2004, at 20:55, Christophe Cavalaria wrote:
>> Paul Morrow wrote:
>> - It'll break code that binds arbitrary functions as a member
>> function. You can't do things like that anymore :

[snip]
> How would you solve this problem with decorators, btw?
> class Klass:
>     @stuff
>     doIt = f

I would expect it to be more like:

@stuff
def f(s):
   pass
class Klass:
   doIt = f

@stuff modifies f, so it would precede it. The assignment inside Klass
is just that, a simple assignment; whatever f is, Klass.doIt now refers
to it was well.

> If there was a rule that assigned functions in the class body (doIt=f)
> default to normal methods whatever their first arg is called, would that
> be okay? After all, that is how it works right now.

That's certainly true of def statements inside classes, but doIt is just
an assignment. If I understand correctly, you're proposing that the
compiler do something special if a variable at class scope is being
assigned a known function value. I'm not sure the compiler can know that:

@stuff
def f(s):
   pass
g = f
def id(a):
   return a
class Klass:
   doIt = g
   doItAgain = id(a)

How is the compiler going to sort all this out at compile time?

Also, such implicit typing would prevent one from storing non-methods.
Raw functions can be useful even inside classes:

class Frob:
   def __init__(self,frob):
     self.__frob = frob
   def __call__(self,buf):
     return self.__frob(buf)
Frob(frob.frobnicate)('This is a test.')
Frob(frob.frobulate)('This is another test.')
Frob(frob.frobnosticate)('The best test of all!')

   -- Mark