My only complaint about Python

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Thu Aug 19 12:38:20 EDT 2004

    David> I agree. I don't mind it being built with Visual Studio,
    David> but out of the box mingw compatibility would be cool...  --
    David> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list

The only thing that needs to be done for mingw compatibility is to
build the import lib, right?  It would be nice if the win32 python
shipped with that; it's only 37K gzipped.

I have a batch script to create libpython23.a, for those who are
interested.  It requires pexports-0.42h from
http://starship.python.net/crew/kernr/mingw32/pexports-0.42h.zip
extracted to C:\Program Files\pexports-0.42h, and of course mingw.

Your paths may vary...

    copy c:\windows\system32\python23.dll .
    c:\progra~1\pexports-0.42h\bin\pexports python23.dll > python23.def
    c:\MinGW\bin\dlltool --dllname python23.dll --def python23.def --output-lib libpython23.a

    copy libpython23.a c:\python23\libs
    del python23.dll
    del libpython23.a