[Python-Dev] PEP 318: Can't we all just get along?

Andrew Durdin adurdin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 01:57:57 EDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:55:06 +1200, Greg Ewing
<greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Guido:
>
> > Is anybody seriously trying to come up with a single alternative
> > decorator proposal that most folks "out there" can support, to be
> > presented to me (with implementation, please!) in time for 2.4b1?
>
> >From the posts I've seen here, the only alternatives that have
> considerable popular support are ones that you've already rejected. So
> I suspect nobody really feels it's worth trying.

To expand on that just a bit: the two alternatives that were most
generally favoured (in Doug Holton's estimate) were the
"list-after-def" (C1 in the wiki), and the "pie decorator at top of
function body" (E1 in the wiki), both of which Guido rejected.
In the poll that Doug ran, E1 had a slight margin over C1:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-August/233479.html

However, C1 has an implementation, while E1 doesn't. (Aside: how
difficult would it be to create an implementation of E1?)