My only complaint about Python

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 21:59:25 EDT 2004

[Darren Dale[
> Will the BDFL ever split with Visual Studio?

We should be clear here that this isn't Guido's decision.  What you
get on Windows is what you get on all other platforms in this respect:
 you get what volunteers show up to produce, year after year after
year.  So you get a fine Cygwin port from Jason Tishler, seemingly
toiling all alone, and you get contributions from at least four
developers who do use Visual Studio.

I don't think that's an accident.  Most open source jockeys who use
Windows do so because it's needed for their day job, and sticking with
an MS compiler is widely perceived in pointy-hair boss-land as the
safest course on Windows.  And it is a first-class IDE, so there's no
pragmatic reason to wrestle with yet another system when the day job
ends.  It takes real sweat to get comfortable with any C development
tool chain, and it takes years to become familiar wth each one's
maddening quirks.

I expect that's why Guido still uses Visual Studio when he's running
on Windows (and know it's why I do), but he actually hasn't had
anything to do with the Windows Python releases for years.  Things
Will Change when long-term volunteers show up and change them.