IDLE

Daniel Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:39:54 EDT 2004

Peter Kleiweg <in.aqua.scribis at nl.invalid> wrote:
: george schreef:

:> Newbie question.
:>
:> Installed Python 2.4 successfully.
:> However, double clicking on the IDLE icon activates the hour glass
:> cursor and then dies. The IDLE window does not come up.
:> I am sure it is something trivial that I am not doing

: Happended to me too. Idle is trying to get access to tcp/ip
: services and can't find them on Windows.

You may have port '8833' blocked: that's the port that IDLE uses to
talk to itself.  Windows XP comes with a firewall that's a bit
hostile, and if the firewall is on, then it prevents IDLE from running.

If it is a firewall issue, then it may be fixable.  Microsoft has an
article that explains how to open up port:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_november12.mspx

Good luck!