age of Python programmers

Reid Nichol rnichol_rrc at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 12:43:52 EDT 2004

27

Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> survey that might have this information with *real* numbers.  Theres a
> good little bump among the scientific and core-dev peoples for late
> forties and above (maybe those careers keep you flexible enough to try
> new things?  Maybe the projects are experimental enough that using a
> "new" language isn't a problem?)
The people who enter a carreer that involves science to any real degree
*must* mantain flexibility.  They typically do research and nothing
would really get done if this weren't the case.

Since experimental math came along (very recent - I believe in just the
last few years) and since numerics is a large part of Physics now, it'd
make sense that the older ones would pick up an easy to learn language.
  And since the GSL has python bindings, all the better.