VB-like GUI designer?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Mon Aug 9 18:55:19 EDT 2004

simo wrote:
> Fred <nobody at nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> I tried wxDesigner and wxGlade, but neither lets me move the widgets
>> around.
>
> Dunno what you're smoking there man!

I think what he means is that they generally force you to use sizers.
For example in wxGlade, if you drag a button out onto a new frame, it
has resize handles but you can't resize or position the button since
it all ends up inside a sizer.  You can type in new size/position in
the object properties but that is insane.

> Qt Designer (for use with PyQt though) or just hand-code the layout,
> it ain't that hard.....

For people who are happy with the licensing issues behind Qt, it is
certainly best of breed.

As for hand coding the layout, don't forget he has come from a VB
world :-)  Using sizers and hand coding is certainly usually in the
best long term interests of many projects, but in the short term
is more time consuming and frustrating (you just want to drag the
buttons around).

Roger