[IronPython] Jim Hugunin's web log.

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Aug 30 16:03:04 EDT 2004

David Wilson wrote:

> It would also greatly ease the need to advocate Python in places of
> employment, as a Microsoft adopted product, it couldn't be wrong(tm).
> This is perhaps the first time where I have been glad to see Microsoft
> hijack something. Even if IronPython becomes a commercial offering, I'm
> still sold.

Will you still be "sold" if Microsoft embraces and mutates (or
whatever is the pat phrase describing their amoebic methods)
Python by introducing a half dozen incompatible new forms of
syntax and such, confusing newcomers with market mumbo jumbo
and vapourware announcements, stealing away some of the best
minds from the open source community with obscene wages, and
all those other little "couldn't be wrong(tm)" <wink> things
that they have done in the past?

This might be somewhat like what one of our (Canadian) past
Prime Ministers referred to as "sleeping with an elephant" in
reference to living next to the US.  "No matter how friendly and
even-tempered the beast, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

(See http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau for a possibly
accurate quote.)

-Peter