Begginer question about py install

Wed Aug 25 11:00:35 EDT 2004

Player wrote:
> During my setup install of python, I came across an option stating...
> Compile python files to, .pyc
> I left it unchecked for now, should I of done otherwise??

Generally no biggie one way or another.  If the python directories are
only admin (or root or...) writable, this is a good idea.  Otherwise,
the first use of any module will do the compile, and all subsequent
uses will use that result.

> I assume by compiling the python files to pyc they would run that little bit
> faster??

They always get compiled, and the results of the compilation are stored
in either .pyc or .pyo files, if the write doesn't fail.  Whether the
write fails or not, the compiled code is used.

-Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org