Alternative decorator syntax decision

Istvan Albert ialbert at mailblocks.com
Fri Aug 20 09:30:21 EDT 2004

Paul McGuire wrote:

> The significant alternatives have been listed on the Python wiki at
> http://www.python.org/moin/PythonDecorators .

This page lists all the choices and not just the alternatives.

> I would propose a multivote survey: each poster gets 3 votes among the
> lettered choices on the Wiki page above.  You can use all 3 for a single
> option, or split them across 2 or 3 options if you are open to more than
> one.

I have noticed that many people thought (or implied) that they
should be voting only for alternatives. Others voted for the
the existing implementation. This makes this poll even more
unreliable than usually.

I don't think one should ever devise a poll to test for
*second* options only. The second option only makes sense
in proper context when compared to the first option.

As more an more syntaxes came up and faced with increasingly
hairy syntaxes and heated arguments  I start to believe
that Guido's choice is actually the best.

A1 E1

Istvan.