A little curious about something..

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Thu Aug 26 15:24:37 EDT 2004

Player wrote:

>However with the Idle version in python, the GUI and python it's self loads
>allot slower, and if I do the same click-hold to reposition the idle GUI
>window, it chugs and stutters across the screen as I move it, rather slowly
>and no were near as smoothly and fluidly as the Activestates version of the
>Idle GUI window.

I'm just guessing here, but the ActiveState IDE, PythonWin, uses native
Windows widgets from Python, while IDLE uses Tk widgets inside a TCL
interpreter which is controlled from Python.  This means that IDLE has
an extra layer or two of indirection.  (And, while I'm sure that TCL is
a great language within its intended problem domain, I don't believe
that execution speed has been any sort of priority in its development...)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International