File System

Aaron Bingham bingham at cenix-bioscience.com
Tue Aug 31 05:36:08 EDT 2004

Hello Maboroshi,

You are not the first to think that there might be an alternative to the
filesystem.  Here are a few links to sites for projects where
filesystems have been rethought or eliminated in very different ways.
Most of this is unfortunately vaporware.  This is by no means a complete
list:

Xanadu
    http://www.xanadu.com
    http://www.udanax.com
    http://www.sunless-sea.net

Fenfire
    http://www.nongnu.org/fenfire/

Lifestreams
    http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/freeman/lifestreams.html

EROS
    http://www.eros-os.org

Tunes
    http://tunes.org

Maboroshi wrote:

> <>Hi I was curious
>
> I was interested in finding out from Programmers and Computer Users - If
> they were to completely rebuild there Computers Filing System How would it
> work
>
> I believe since the advent of the PC we have been brainwashed (In a Sense
> cause nothings really Changed ( at least as far as I know ) to have a
> filesystem that is structured in this way Open a Folder open its contents
> open another folder open its contents open a file move a file delete a
> file
> move a folder delete a folder you get the idea
>
> I believe this structure is much like an array or a multidimensional array
> if you were to put it in that respect
>
> Question:
> are most (if not all) databases like this
>
> I believe there is a better way and I want to find it I also believe if
> there is a better way it could totally change our approach to programming
>
> I know this isn't neccessarily a python question but it has to do with
> future research that will benefit the Python Language plus I like to hear
> the opinions of the Python Community which I have a lot of respect for
>
> Cheers
>
> Maboroshi

Aaron Bingham
Application Developer