language/distro preferences

Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud peufeu at free.fr
Sun Aug 1 07:42:45 EDT 2004

	I use Gentoo. Their portage system is really, really good. Being able to
download and install programs and all their dependencies, using my
compilation options... that makes life so much simpler...

	And about PHP, I hate it. The language is so weak. Nothing is OO. The
libraries are inconsistentand everything is in a big mess, due to the
absence of namespaces.

	I guess this is best illustrated by the following example :

	Python #1:
	if char in string:
		do stuff

	if item in array:
		do stuff

	Python #2:
	print mystuff.getsomestuff().getsomeattribute().getname().capitalize()

	PHP #1:
	Um, which of the 50 string functions should I use ? (lookup help).
	Um, I don't remember, should I put the haystack or the needle first ? It
depends on which function you choose.
	Um, does it return false, O, -1, or null on failure ? (It depends on
which function you choose)
	Um, what's the function name for an array ? is it find_array or
array_find or in_array or array_has_key ? mmm... what if the key is a
string... is it a different function... mmm

	PHP #2 :
	$temp = $mystuff->getsomestuff();
	$temp = $temp->getsomeattribute();
	echo strtocap or somthing( $temp->getname(); )

	You get it ?