How does a "script" differ from a "program" or "subroutine"?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Aug 25 23:36:39 EDT 2004

Porky Pig Jr wrote:
> Phil Frost <indigo at bitglue.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.2253.1093310132.5135.python-list at python.org>...
>
>> A script is just a program, but has the implication that it's a simple
>> program for a simple task.
>
> I think the major implication is not that it's simple but it's written
> in some 'interpreted' (rather than compiled) language.

To my way of thinking, a "script" is a canned sequence of
commands for something that one normally uses interactively.
On that basis, python "scripts" aren't really scripts, they're
programs -- because the Python interpreter isn't normally
used interactively, except for trying things out during
programming.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,