Are decorators really that different from metaclasses...

Paul Morrow pm_mon at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 20:28:30 EDT 2004

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Paul Morrow <pm_mon <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>Have you seen a significant number of cases where a function uses
>>__xxx__ names for local variables?  Have you seen any?
>

> Are there any examples currently of functions that use __xxx__ names in their
> body at all?  I haven't seen this, but I haven't really looked...
>
> STeve

I've seen some that define a few of the pydoc variables (__author__,
__version__, etc), although pydoc doesn't recognizes them there.  I
remember reading a whitepaper on a web templating framework that made
use of them too, where each function corresponded to an html tag and the
__xxx__ variables controlled caching (memoizing), which database tables
were involved, etc.

For classes and modules of course you'll see more examples of __xxx__
variables describing meta aspects of the class/module (__metaclass__,
__future__, etc.), so it seems consistent that they could describe meta
aspects of functions too.