autocoding and the new MS book regarding software factories

threeseas timrueAT at mindspringDOT.com
Sat Aug 14 20:26:59 EDT 2004

Because the project is done in python and in support of FOSS

http://msdn.microsoft.com/architecture/overview/softwarefactories/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnmaj/html/aj3softfac.asp

"According to the Standish Group [Sta94], businesses in the United
States spend around $250 billion on software development each year on
approximately 175,000 projects. Only 16 percent of these projects finish
on schedule and within budget. Another 31 percent are cancelled, mainly
due to quality problems, for losses of about $81 billion. Another 53
percent exceed their budgets by an average of 189 percent, for losses of
about $59 billion. Projects reaching completion deliver an average of
only 42 percent of the originally planned features."

and text regarding industrialization (engineering)..

Interesting how they use the same figures and refer to the same issue of
  industrialization as I covered 8 years ago on one of my first web pages.

 From http://threeseas.net/mind/vic-objective.html

"PROBLEMS IMPORTANT TO SOLVE

Attention Getting Points

------ FROM ------
COMDEX SPRING and WINDOWS WORLD 95
Power Panel - "What's Wrong with Software Development"
** In The U.S. Only **

$81 Billion = 31% of software development gets cancelled before complete

$59 Billion = 53% of software development has cost over-runs of 189%

16% success - project success and failure ratio

61% customer requested features and functions make it in

Maintenance and repair is where most of the U.S. dollars are going,
instead of new, better, easier to use software.

[snipped out some of my own observations from being there - see link
*** Especially if you read
http://www.theserverside.net/talks/library.tss#KeithShort ]

------ AND FROM ------
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN - Sept. 1994
Article - "Software's Chronic Crisis"

The article covers much the same ground as the above but with a focus
and flavor of the magazine. The article also goes more into solution
efforts with software development on large scale projects. But finding
consistent solutions are still hard to come by.

Mass-produced PC products makes up less than 10% of the $92.8 billion
U.S. software market.

Mary M. Shaw of Carnegie Mellon University, observes a parallel between
chemical engineering evolution and software engineering evolution.
However, this evolution has not made the connection between science and
commercialization required to establish a consistent experimental
foundation for professional software engineering.
---------------------

They also refer to several other issues I have as well covered.
Such as levels of abstraction.. http://www.threeseas.net/mind/KNMVIC.html

I've posted about this and related issues before but now MS is talking
along the same lines and I'm not supprised as I understand their
longhorn and patent grab intent ... and have publicly stated these
things if you just search the internet. I don't claim MS is in any way
original, but we all know they take from others and claim ownership...

http://weblogs.asp.net/jnadal/archive/2003/10/29/34413.aspx
----------
  # re: Codename "MONAD"  10/31/2003 12:34 PM  3seas

Ok, what to many fail to understand is the sum total and what it means,
that MS is working towards.

The Common Language Infrastructure (CLI #2) is a sum of most all
programming concepts and datatypes then integrated into a
non-conflicting package so that most any language can be translated into
the Common Intermediate Language (CIL) and run on a run time engine.
This unifies all programming languages. But also another part of .NET is
that of Inter-Process Communications (IPC) and there is also direction
towards standardized GUI functionality. Then Add in this Commandline
Interface (CLI #1)...

(CLI #1) + (GUI) + (IPC) = the three primary UIs which is like paint
having three primary colors, for which you can create any color in the
spectrum. Take away one and you greatly limit what you can do... ok..
using these three primary UIs in processing the (CLI #2) it becomes
possible and probable that an autocoding environment can and will be
developed.

additionally by adding a voice to text interface to the CLI #1 you can
achieve the ability of the end user/consumer to ask for a program to be
created and the system will do it.

by patenting it..... all your base will be owned by MS... do a google
search in "autocoding" and be sure to set aside any arrogance and
ignorance you may and probably do have.
---------

The following information represents what is probably the best of what
is available thru the Web on the subject of autocoding. (via google)

HIRTS DARP Working Group on Autocoding, 18th, 19th April 2000
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/hise/darp/pdf/autocoding.pdf
(Brings up various issues which will help you focus in on what
"autocoding" is and what some of the issues to solve, are.)

The follow up to the above is:
May 8th thru 10th, 2001 "DARP HIRTS Workshop" paper by Jakob Engblom:
http://www.artes.uu.se/mobility/reports/hirts_report1.0.pdf
(See pages 5-6 section 3.2.5 The Use of Tools in Aerospace)

This link no longer works but.. available on paper
http://www.artes.uu.se/mobility/reports/

In summary, Though autocoding is being used to some extent, it is a
future hope, since in general it has a bug density which is an order of
a magnititude lower than manual code.  Point being is that this is
leading edge stuff, an opportunity for OSS to shine.

To help show why I believe OSS efforts can shine when it comes to such a
project as Autocoding:

QinetiQ - Analysis of the Impact of Open Source Software
http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/interoperability/egif_document.asp?docnum=430
link changed I think to:
http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/documents/QinetiQ_OSS_rep.pdf

and From the Conference on the Public Domain, Nov. 9-11. 2001 at Duke
Law School "Coase's Penguin, or, Linux and the Nature of the Firm" by
Yochai Benkler: http://www.law.duke.edu/pd/papers/Coase%27s_Penguin.pdf

Automating what was done manually requires the identification of, and
ability to apply, the manual action set we use, but have the computer do
it. A USPTO Published comment introducing these identified actions and
suggestions of how they may be applied, including autocoding, is here:
http://www.threeseas.net/mind/KNMVIC.html

Now it seems that the core problem not only I but MS is running into is
resistance from coders...

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/08/1724209&tid=185&tid=187&tid=8
and the page ratings of the MS link (first link in body of this post)
and http://www.theserverside.net/discussions/thread.tss?thread_id=27697

Anyway, since there are those controlling python coders that don't like
me....  thought I'd post this. And to the GNU group.... Sorry RMS, but
software just ain't free untill anyone can easily create or cause the
computer to create it for them... for FREE... And real software
engineers that believe in the Free Software Foundation, FOSS, GPL, etc..
will understand this...