Proposal for removing self

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Wed Aug 25 18:38:52 EDT 2004

"Batista, Facundo" wrote:

> [Brent W. Hughes]
>
> #- When doing object-oriented stuff, it bothers me to have to
> #- type "self" so
> #- many times.  I propose that Python allow the programmer to
> #- optionally type
> #- ".variable" instead of "self.variable" to mean the same
> #- thing.  Of course,
> #- the interpreter would have to be more careful about
> #- detecting floats that
> #- begin with just a period as in ".5".  What are your thoughts?
>
> I type less than read, so I prefer the code to be better readable than
> writable.
>
> I'm -1 on your proposal.

Furthermore, I believe there's been some talk as a prefixed dot being
reserved for possible use in a "with" control structure at some point in
the future.  So using it to abbreviate self is definitely out.
(Besides, this proposal is not new.)

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis