Seperating CSV rows into new, seperate files

TonyB anthonybol2 at netscape.net
Sun Aug 15 16:45:15 EDT 2004

OK,
With some off post help I was able to come up with this little ditty
of a script but it still has one more problem.  When I run the script
it creates new files for each specific class.  While talking through
the logic with a friend, I realized that the gradebook software that
will import the list will ignore duplicate rows.  Not the best
solution but I need it to work this week.  In any case, it appears
that the new files have some sort of additional line terminator that
creates a blank row in the outputted file making the importing of the
list impossible.   This is based on the fact that when I try to open
the new files in MS Excel, they have blank rows after each row of
data.   If I open them in a text editor such as Notepad, they look
identical to the source file (which can be imported to the gradbook
software).

Is there a way to SEE the newline terminators?
How can I use the csv.writer() to make sure there are no extra lines?

My Script:
**************************************
import csv

TEACHER_NAME = 4
COURSE_TITLE = 9
COURSE_NUMBER = 8
SECTION = 10

# Open the input file and read the file to memory (may be too big a
file? ~ 2MB?).
reader = csv.reader(file("sample.csv"))

def createFilename(teacher,title,number,section):
   '''
   We need to remove spaces from the fields for better formatting of
the file name
   '''
   import re
   regex = re.compile('[^.A-Za-z0-9-_]')
   filename = '%s_%s_%s_section%s.txt' % (teacher, title, number,
section)
   return regex.sub('_', filename)

for row in reader:
   filename = createFilename(row[TEACHER_NAME], row[COURSE_TITLE],
row[COURSE_NUMBER],

row[SECTION])
   fileobj = file(filename, 'a')
   newfile = csv.writer(fileobj)