PEP-0318

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Mon Aug 9 09:10:20 EDT 2004

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 08:33:45 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
wrote:

>Therefore it will be before... the only important choice left
>seems to be what bizarre and arbitrary punctuation symbol will
>be chosen for the purpose.  (To be fair, it's not "arbitrary"
>any more: clearly the sole requirement for this is how loud
>and in-your-face the decorator symbol will be.  I don't know
>when this sort of thing became considered good style for Python,
>but this too is the new world order.)

I guess at this point I am reading the siutation along the following
lines:

That Guido is is intuitively or consciosuly uncomfortable with the
entire concept of decorators within the Python framework, while
recognizing some need to accommodate a segment of the community with
some special purpose fucntionality.

And either intuitively, or consciously, he is doing something that
offsets it from something truly intergrated into the core of the
language.  By breakling all of his own rules.

Quirky design, to be sure.  But, who knows, perhaps the best of the
bad choices.