Python future performance and speed

Kirk Job-Sluder kirk at eyegor.jobsluder.net
Sun Aug 22 11:59:37 EDT 2004

On 2004-08-22, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
> Roy Smith wrote:
>
>> Speed is the primary limitation for mainstream acceptance of high level
>> (aka scripting) languages in general.

> Far more likely, it seems to me, is that the primary limitation
> for mainstream acceptance of scripting languages(*) in general
> is ignorance.

I think there are a few other reasons as well.  I think that the general
python policy of making things clear and obvious is incompatible with
software business models that consider compilation and distribution of
executables as a way to hide trade secrets.

Another problem with interpreted languages is that the interpreter and
libraries for might be moving targets.  I've not specifically had any
problems with python, but I have had problems with an update to R
killing functionality for a library I was using.  I've also have had
problems with some Java applications depending on which JRE I might be
running on a system.