Python secure?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Aug 15 20:54:53 EDT 2004

In article <411ffef6$0$65603$a1866201 at newsreader.visi.com>,
 Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

> On 2004-08-15, Roger Binns <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> wrote:
> > Calvin wrote:
> >> Sorry I should have said I'm new to programming let alone Python. I
> >> wish to know whether Python is secure as an exe for a commercial
> >> product.
> >
> > Yes.  Anyone who recovers your "code" and/or uses it will be in
> > violation of copyright
>
> I don't see how decompiling is a copyright violation.  If I buy
> a copy of a book, I'm pretty sure I can translate it into
> another language if I want to form my own use.
>
> Unless the license under which use of the program was granted
> forbade de-compiling and reverse-engineering, I don't see why
> decompiling is illegal.  In some places (Europe?)
> reverse-engineering is explicitly allowed by law.
>

> > and several other laws.
>
> What other laws?
>
> > That is legal protection no matter what languages or
> > combination of languages you use.

It is illegal for you to walk in my front door when I'm not home, take
my silverware, and leave with it.  I am basing this statement on the
laws applicable to where I live (New York City), but am reasonably sure
it's pretty much the same in most places.

That being true, it's still a good idea for me to lock the door when I
leave the house.