Confused about pep 318

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Thu Aug 5 12:12:59 EDT 2004

On 5 Aug 2004, Steven Bethard wrote:

> Wow, this one really feels like it was slipped in while no one was
> looking.

That's because it was.

> While I don't go to Python conferences, I do occasionally
> check python-dev, and I totally missed whatever thread introduced the
> @ syntax.  Scary...

This is the post that started it all:
 http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/046599.html

Quote:
 The @decorator patch has been landed on the trunk, after
 getting the go-ahead from the BDFL. I'll update PEP-0318
 with the final syntax in the next day or so.

That's the first most people had heard of it.  Guido had given Anthony
Baxter the go-ahead in a private e-mail.  There had previously been no
public discussions about it.

> Not a big fan of this syntax -- no intuitive reason why @ would mean
> decorator -- but I presume this has already been complained about...

It has, but the more people complaining, the better, if you're against it.