2 GB files

Josef Meile jmeile at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 23 05:33:20 EDT 2004

Elbert Lev wrote:
> From postings to this group and other resources I understood that the
> only way to make Python programs to work correctly with files lager
> then 2 GB is building Python interpreter with some "magic spell"
> defines. For me this is ABSOLUTELY unacceptable (Not the building, but
> distributing and installing on dozens of computers in my
> organisation). Then every time we switch to a new release of Python
> this has to be repeated over and over!
It is necessary with old python versions like 2.1.3 (The one used by
zope 2.6.x). Have you tried to install a newer version of python (ie:
2.3.4)? I think you haven't. It already supports autodetection of large
file support. If it fails, it means that your system doesn't support
large files (ie: on old versions of glibc it wasn't included).

> I believe, that automatic 64 bit support (large files) can and should
> be included in standard library (on platforms which support this
> feature).
It's already there.