age of Python programmers

Rex RexStJames at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 11:38:43 EDT 2004

"Lucas Raab" <pythongnome at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<jQHUc.1529$2L3.505 at newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> One thing I've always kind of wondered is what is the average age of a
> Python programmer?? What age groups use Python?? Something to think
> about....

Well, I happen to 17 right now. I've been using Python (my first
(real) language!) for a couple years. I say 'real' because I did some
"programming" of my TI-86 graphing calculator (syntax quite similar to
BASIC) prior to that, but that hardly counts.
Funny story: I taught a 4th grader how to program in Python. He
decided he wanted to learn how to program a computer, so we sat down
over about a week on an elementary school Mac. and I taught him about
variables, strings, input/output, conditionals, and started talking
about while loops.
We had a great "guess the number the computer is thinking of..." game
going by the end. (Too high... Too low... You win!)

So, does he win the award for youngest Python programmer?