Python milestone releases

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 06:21:13 EDT 2004

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:49:52 +0200, David Fraser <davidf at sjsoft.com> wrote:
> What may be easier in some situations is to have back-ported versions of
> new standard modules that will run with previous versions of Python.
> For example, Python 2.3 introduces the datetime module ; to require
> people to upgrade from Python 2.2 for a new module seems steep ...

That happens sometimes - for instance, spambayes includes a version
of the sets.py module for Python 2.2. But in general it's probably not
going to happen unless someone steps forward to do it - there's very
little advantage to me, for instance, in doing this, as I don't run 2.2 on
anything. (2.3 was such a painless upgrade from 2.2 that I don't have
a problem doing this).

Note, though, that there is a pure-python version of the datetime module
(it was the original version) so you're probably in luck. Assuming, of course,
that it doesn't use any 2.3-isms.