Why I love python.

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) tdelaney at avaya.com
Fri Aug 13 02:58:01 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2004 17:05:34 -0700, Michael Scarlett <bitshadow at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> [ pie decorators ]
>> Am i the only one with a
>> visceral reaction to this thing???
>
> So did you have a similar reaction on first hitting the indentation
> for blocks? I know I dimly recall thinking that this was very strange
> and horrible (dimly, because it was 1992 or 1993).

Personally, no. I loved them :) But that could be because it matched the
indentation I enforced on my own code pretty much identically.

Strangely enough, people had always commented on my "excessive use of
whitespace" whilst at the same time commenting that my code was "the
most readable they'd ever seen". And very few people seemed to link the
two statements ... ;)

But @decorators before the def at the same indentation level just
doesn't work for me. Too much information to process at once - I have
real problems finding the name of the function, even having set up
syntax colouring to handle it. The name just gets lost in the noise.

Tim Delaney