Dynamic languages

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Aug 30 20:22:44 EDT 2004

Neuruss wrote:

> "Dynamic programming languages enable programs to change their
> structure as they run."
>
> I wonder if this definition is correct.
> Can we define dynamic languages this way?

As Steve Holden points out, in effect, "sure we can", if we're
journalists.

But another point I haven't seen raised is that one can
certainly say that a dynamic programming language is one
that, like Python, allows an object to have new attributes
or methods added (or old ones removed) on-the-fly.  That
certainly should fit the definition of "changing their
structure", by anyone's measure, and it doesn't involve
confusing the issue with "dynamic typing", which is not
necessarily the same thing.

-Peter