MSI Installer Problem: can't install 2.4a2 on new install of Win2kSP2

Richard Hanson me at privacy.net
Thu Aug 26 11:34:58 EDT 2004

Martin,

Thanks for replying.

Still no go with the 2.4a2 install on my Fujitsu LifeBook P1120 with
Win2kSP2.

(I have much to learn in writing concise posts, alas -- I appreciate
your patience.)

Minding my own relative ignorance -- and your expertise -- with the
MSI Installer, this morning I redownloaded the MSI Installer
(filename: InstMsiW.exe, filesize: 1,822,848 bytes, version:
2.0.2600.2) from MS using the link on the Python 2.4 page as you
suggest (and as I'd already done yesterday as noted in my original,
somewhat dense post).

Today, I get the same file from MS as yesterday.

Just in case, though, I ran the new download from MS yet again, and it
said:

  "Error: The specified service already exists."

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>If it used to work before the reinstallation, you either had a different
>service pack installed before, or some other software you had installed
>did a silent installation of a new installer release (such as Office
>2k).

I'm at a loss, still. Surely, something I had previously installed in
my own prior installation silently installed something needed for the
Python 2.4a2 install *other than the MSI Installer 2.0* and is
currently missing from my reinstall...?

I'll keep working on it and will report back as a solution develops.

Thanks again, Martin -- much appreciate your and all the other
developer's selfless contributions.

I'm going to try to redownload the Python install file (mine is
filesize: 10,691,072 bytes) even though it "seems" fine -- as I'm
running out of ideas.

Meanwhile, I *do* have Python 2.3.4 to play... er... *work* with (but
I sorely miss Decimal <wink>).

Best regards,
Richard

--
email works if unmunged:
sick<PERI0D>ole<P0INT>fart<PIE_DEC0_SYNTAX>newsguy<MARK>com