Why I love python.

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Fri Aug 13 15:34:00 EDT 2004

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, kosh wrote:

> Why is there a need for a stand alone executable? At least on all the unixes
> whether something is executable is just determined by the executable bit on
> the file.

Not if you don't have the interpreter installed.

> I can execute a python program just as transparently as one in
> compiled c, c++,  etc. I really don't see the point of that.

Indeed, you can do that just as easily on Windows, too.  The point of a
stand-alone executable is not to make running the script easier, but to
make distribution easier.  Users don't need to install Python to run a
Python script if it's a stand-alone executable.