[XML-SIG] value error when parsing XML

Ajay Brar abra9823 at mail.usyd.edu.au
Tue Aug 3 06:42:32 EDT 2004

Mike Brown wrote:

>Ajay Brar wrote:
>

>>i get a value error when parsing an xml file. This is because it can't
>>find the DTD -
>>ValueError: unknown url type: ../um_xml/um.dtd
>>
>> From what i have discovered in the archives, this happens when your XML
>>and DTD file are not in your current directory
>>i have the directory structure
>>home
>>      user - this is where i am running the script from
>>      um_xml- this is where the xml and dtd are
>>
>>can someone please tell me how i can workaround this problem. the script
>>executes fine when the xml and dtd files are in user/. But i don't
>>really want to put them there.
>>any ideas?
>>

>The "current directory" / "where you are running the script from"
>has no bearing on the interpretation of URLs in the document (not
>directly, anyway).
>
>If both files are in the same location, you only need to refer to the
>DTD via the URL um.dtd (no add'l path info prepended to it).

I have no additional path info prepended to the um.dtd
my xml file goes - <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?><!DOCTYPE um
SYSTEM 'um.dtd'>.....
like i said, earlier the dtd and the xml are in the same directory.
the script that parses it is in a different directory. it all works fine
if the dtd is in the same directory as the parsing script, but otherwise
i get the Value Error.

cheers
ajay

--