python-dev Summary for 2004-08-01 through 2004-08-15

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Tue Aug 24 11:18:36 EDT 2004

[Istvan]
> what does:
>
>  > It is not to be used in the stdlib ever.
>
> mean in this context?

As I understand it, it means that no standard library code should take
advantage of the fact that repeated s1 += s2 operations are fast in CPython
2.4.  Instead, it should use the ''.join() idiom.

This seems reasonable - the standard library should work equally well across
all implementations of Python, and should serve as best-practice
documentation for writing "good" Python code.  My definition of "good" in
this context would include "works across all Python implementations without
unnecessary surprises".

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com